Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Pantry Magic Competition - March 20th, 2011

Cora entered a cake decorating contest last Sunday, here it is what she says.........

"My colleague forwarded me an e-mail to enter a cake decorating contest at Pantry Magic in Sheung Wan, Hong Kong. Since my birthday is coming up, I thought it'd be fun to make something for myself for once. One of my favorite themes is Alice in Wonderland, so I designed a mini 3-D cake.

I decided on something colorful, since the winner gets featured in Hong Kong's Lisa Magazine.  I'm sooo commercial to a fault.

 So here I am, at the contest.  I've never participated in a live contest, and this is really only my 3rd fondant cake I've ever attempted. When I first received the e-mail, somehow, she thought the contest rule was to complete the decorating in 1 hour.  So a week before, I made a "practice cake" to see if I could finish my ambitious design. 

Of course I couldn't, and it also ended up a disaster in more ways than one.  I didn't use enough fondant (I was being el cheapo), and I thought  I'd skip the support part (who needs dowels?). I was also rushing, and you could see it in the details.  

I was mulling over whether to redesign but work and the sad news in Japan left me sleepless, tired and unable to dwell on such small issues.  I hope this cake brings some distracting happiness to others, and hope all my Japanese friends and family are all safe.



 So I worked into the wee hours the night before the contest, getting a little nervous, but mostly really tired.  I get to the contest and find out we have 2 HOURS!  YAY!  So I got to take my sweet time doing everything calmly, orderly and methodically (which are not my usual traits). 

I was a little displeased that my "teapot" came out a little lumpy, but otherwise was pretty happy with my design.  It was incredibly humid yesterday, and the buttercream melted a little.




  The other 2 contestest had really pretty cakes too, so talented!




 There was also a kid's cupcake contest at the same time, and at times I wished I were over there eating candies and decorations with them over at their table. Their cupcakes were so cute and colorful!  While only one kid won, I wanted to eat every single one of them. The sunflower one won and was made by the sister of my fellow competitor.  Lovely!


I was thrilled to win.  My mom and sister immediately helped me spend 1/2 of the $2000 cash voucher that was the prize.  I also got a free cooking lesson.  Can't wait to see my cake in Lisa Magazine!  Other contestants also got vouchers for doing such a wonderful job. Thank you Pantry Magic!



 It was a really fun event.  Can't wait for my real birthday tea party next week with the girls."

1 comment:

  1. Yay! So glad you won, you did a fantastic job, you have excellent design talents my dear :)

    ReplyDelete